Just another day...

Sunday, October 01, 2006

We got the Funk (1)

Greetings to all of you,

before anything else, let me tell you this: London is the bomb!
Trying to catch as much of the flow and vibe of this city as possible I feel like I have to pilgrimage to every borough just to taste the very special flavor of each. Living in the young neighborhood of Islington every other borough that matters is within walking distance –meaning almost all!


And since I will somehow need to say goodbye to sweet, (oh) sweet life as of tomorrow (classes are already knocking on my door and the pile of reading material is getting insuperably high…) I must be quick in finding all the spots I will take those of you who are going to come over. Having said that, today was a decisive day in that sense because France, Italy, Israel and I have jointly been pounding the streets of London Town. When planning your trip, please make sure you will have a Sunday here for all the great markets that are taking place then. It is definitely a must-do!!
And don’t you even start thinking these are markets where people try selling apples and peaches…No, no…not at all! These are places, which I might rather compare to exhibitions of clothes, music (Gosh…I found my musical Mecca in just one of them), food, and any other fancy, stylish items you can think of. Really – it was quite breathtaking.
And all of this is accompanied by the original sound of funky soul-music, remember the beat of the 70s (being a kid of the 80s, I don’t…but why should that matter, once you feel the vibe?!)?! Didn’t we all think we lost the authentic funky soul-music of that time? Well, I am proud to tell you that your fears have become groundless – anyhow, hang onto me and I will take you there!

Of course I was also busy composing a program for the night and let me assure you that there is way too much to choose from - I truly need some sort of guidance- , but Guanabara is certainly a wonderful place if you like funky Samba beats accompanied by live Drum & Base tunes. The live flute, saxophone, percussions and vocals added a special, spicy flavor that one night. I didn’t see anybody standing still…

What else? Well, no one less than THE ROOTS are on in early December!!! YES!!! Can’t wait for that one. Anybody cares for De La Soul, Floetry, and all the others that will be playing in the famous Jazz Café in Camden Town?! If so, let me know or just meet me there.

I felt blessed when finding out that my entire apartment, but particularly my French buddy next-door has an exquisite taste for music –perfectly compatible with mine.

OK, got to run: France is making Lasagna – sorry, I meant I MUST get back to the books!! Honestly!

7 Comments:

At Mon Oct 02, 10:27:00 PM GMT+1, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Na özzie,
schön zu hören, dass es dir gut geht! Vermiss dich hier in Kölle.
LG Gwen

 
At Tue Oct 03, 01:05:00 AM GMT+1, Blogger Özlem said...

Hey,
bin im Dezember wieder bei Euch :))

 
At Wed Oct 04, 08:54:00 PM GMT+1, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bist du über die Ferien wieder in Kölle?? Ich komme über Weihnachten wahrscheinlich nach England...verpassen wir uns dann etwa?

 
At Wed Oct 04, 09:37:00 PM GMT+1, Blogger Özlem said...

Och nöööööö!!!!
Das kann doch nicht wahr sein. Im Ernst jetzt oder was? Und mit wem soll ich dann den Glühwein trinken?

 
At Thu Oct 05, 01:59:00 PM GMT+1, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hach özlem,
schön, dass es deinen blog gibt... da still ich immer ein wenig mein fernweh! bin gerade so urlaubsreif, aber die magisterarbeit... du kennst das ja. wär echt schön, wenn wir uns dann ab mai nächsten jahres in london mal sehn.
take care, julia.

 
At Thu Oct 05, 03:01:00 PM GMT+1, Blogger Özlem said...

Ach, nicht verzagen!!! Das alles nimmt bald ein Ende...been there, done that- I know what I am talking about! Hättest mich mal sehen sollen.
Und weil es so schön war, bin ich jetzt schon wieder back to school. SOAS ist krass - kann gar nicht glauben -will es auch nicht- wieviel ich zu tun habe!!

Aber Besuch ist immer herzlich willkommen -zur Ablenkung :-)

Good luck!
Özlem

PS. Freut mich sehr, dass mein Blog zur Ermunterung beiträgt.

 
At Sat Oct 21, 07:00:00 PM GMT+1, Blogger teddi said...

Can I come to London to visit???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home