Just another day...

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

New Student Job

Hey y’all,

let me tell you that this goddamn British pound is killing almost all students in London. It makes life just so much harder.
But instead of moaning I have found myself a new and pretty well paying job. As you might have come across VD’s front-page article in last Monday’s Guardian on how British “special branch” urges higher educational institutions (HEI) to spy on Muslims on campus, you may correctly assume that I found my calling.
I met VD just recently at one of London’s typical house parties and it seems as if Tony Blair’s official spokesman and a cabinet minister have immediately denounced the article.
Clearly, that would be too bad because I really consider myself to be an excellent candidate –Middle Eastern looking (don't you think I have the most suitable spy glance on that pic?)- for that kind of a job. What’s wrong with spying on my fellow Muslim students at SOAS?!

Truly, “special branch” should recruit me. What do you think? No, I don’t want to hear anything about this being close to McCarthyism –that’s no fun.

Anyhow, much else is on…as for instance Jeffrey Sachs at St. Paul’s Cathedral tomorrow.
If I find his arguments on how to make development sustainable and just for everyone convincing, I will let you know –same place, same time, so watch out!

Oz

7 Comments:

At Sun Oct 22, 12:11:00 PM GMT+1, Blogger Özlem said...

Hey Papa Mel,

at least somebody appreciating my special skills :-)

Now that you commented, can you teach Mama Terri to do the same? I think she had some difficulties...

How is San Diego?

I definitely will come, but have no idea when that might be.

 
At Wed Oct 25, 07:21:00 PM GMT+1, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings from here,

I think you say you are Middle Eastern but also you are German. This is confusing me, can you explain this seeming paradox?

 
At Wed Oct 25, 09:24:00 PM GMT+1, Blogger Özlem said...

I am happy to disentangle the confusion: Note I wrote "Middle Eastern looking".

Notwithstanding, why can one not be both?! In other words, why can one not be American, French, Spanish and yet have another origin or background?

 
At Thu Oct 26, 02:46:00 PM GMT+1, Anonymous Anonymous said...

from Pyjamasarefun@hotmail.com

I'm having to send this again because the first time it failed to work.
Thanks most kindly for answering my question, I am from Zambia so Middle East could mean Uganda. And I looked at the picture of you on your site and thought "no way" she is from there.
I read your entry about being a spy, are you really? If so, maybe it is wisest not to say so publicly because that may make your work more difficult. What is this article you talk about, I am new to using the internet and my connection is still quite slow.
Well thanks you for your time, I must go and tend to my goats now. I may name one after you, if that meets with your permission.

 
At Thu Oct 26, 04:04:00 PM GMT+1, Blogger Özlem said...

Dear unknown person,

This is clearly my bad: I haven’t sufficiently taken into account that people all over the world would actually care about my blog, hence the truly unintended Eurocentric perspective that apparently has been implicit in my statements.
Living in Western Europe, the Middle East refers to the mainly Islamic (some would argue Islamic-Arabic) region. But both definitions do to a more or lesser extent disregard the vast ethnic and religious diversity of this dynamic region.

And you are right: I just lost my student job as a spy for British “special branch” due to my incautious, probably even very amateur-like talk.
OK, if you are really interested in the issue, you should check out the Guardian article (just click on the link and you will be transferred to it).
Just really brief: British authorities seem to be quite alarmed about an alleged danger of Islamic societies becoming more and more political and adopting radical positions. Universities and schools are thought to become centers for increasing recruitment activities on part of these.

Özlem

PS. Naming one of your goats after me? May I ask what makes me deserve such great honor?

 
At Thu Oct 26, 04:38:00 PM GMT+1, Anonymous Anonymous said...

from pyjamasarefun@hotmail.com

I just tried clicking on the link, as you order, and the lights in my house went out. Could the link be bad and have caused this?
I may name a goat after you because I have run out of names. Four are named after the beatles, three after the Beegees and others after famous musicians and other famous people I like. If I name one after you, there will still be three left to name.

 
At Wed Nov 08, 04:40:00 PM GMT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi from Zambia,
I hope you are honoured to find out that I named one of the goats after you. That left three to name, so I named one after myself, that leaves two to name. Do your viewers have any suggestions?
When I learn more about the internet maybe I'll will stick a picture on your blog site. The goat with your name seems to eat more than the others, which shows it is healthy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home